Lipogems® is a gentle process that uses your body’s own fat tissue to cushion and support areas of injury or damage as your body heals itself. The fat is taken from the stomach or thigh areas using a local anesthetic. Lipogems uses an FDA approved device that rinses and cleans the patient’s harvested fat. This harvested fat is then precisely injected into the patient’s injured areas with the use of ultrasound guidance. It is especially effective for areas where there are soft tissue defects such as partial rotator cuff tears, patella tendon tears, labral tears, meniscal tears, and arthritis of the knee. The Lipogems device was awarded as one of the Eleven Best Sports Medicine Technologies for 2016 by Orthopedics This Week and received further FDA approvals on July 5, 2018. New Jersey Regenerative Institute is involved in ongoing data collection regarding the results of this treatment. Read the Press Release!
How it Works
Fat is very rich in regenerative cells, growth factors, and healing proteins known as cytokines. Cytokines affect other cell’s actions and behaviors by telling them what to do (specifically regenerative cells). When the fat is sealed in a sterile Lipogems FDA cleared device after harvesting, inflammatory residues are eliminated with this enzyme-free manipulation. The Lipogems process washes, rinses and resizes your adipose tissues so that they can be used to reconstruct injured areas.
Lipogems only requires a small amount of fat to be removed (2-6 tablespoons). Your doctor will first inject a mixture of saline and an anesthetic into the harvest area which will thoroughly numb it as well as loosen the fat tissue for removal. The solution also helps to prevent bruising/bleeding in that area. The adipose tissue is usually taken from the patient’s stomach or thigh area.
Heavy lifting and vigorous activities should be restricted for a week, but always follow the advice of your doctor. Patients usually experience limited soreness from the harvest site for a few days afterwards as well as slight drainage which commonly stops within 24 hours. Your doctor may recommend a compression garment to wear for a few days after the procedure. The healing process for the injected area takes time (usually 6-8 weeks) and your doctor will be monitoring you for a return to full, unrestricted activities. Patients continue to see healing results for an extended period of time.
- Lipogems washes your tissue to ensure removal of inflammatory oils and bloody residues as well as resizing them to limit inflammation in/around the treatment site
- Minimally invasive, carefully processed, patented and proprietary (FDA cleared)
- Reduces risk of infections and autoimmune rejection due to using your own tissue which is then processed in a closed-loop and sterile system
- Especially effective for chronic cases that have been resistant to other treatments
- Understanding Lipogems
- Gerard Malanga, MD and Jay Bowen, DO demonstrate Lipogems
- Professor Arnold Caplan about Lipogems at Joint Preservation Congress
- Lipogems Provides an FDA Cleared Option For Patients Between Conservative Therapy and Major, Invasive Surgery
- The versatile, FDA-cleared LIPOGEMS system is available at NJSM
- FDA Approves Lipogems ® For Orthopedic And Arthroscopic Surgery
- Adipose Tissue And Mesenchymal Stem Cells: State Of The Art And Lipogems Technology Development
- Lipogems Gets FDA Approval For Adipose Tissue Transfer System
- Lipogems – One Of The Eleven Best Sports Medicine Technologies For 2016
- Lipogems – A Game Changer In The Field Of Regenerative Medicine “Stem Cell” Therapy
- Goodbye Arthritis: The Future Of Adipose Tissue Could Revolutionize Hip Replacement