Gerard Malanga, MDBoard Certified Physical Medicine & Pain Management Specialist
About Gerard Malanga, MD
Gerard Malanga, MD, is a board-certified physician specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatry), sports medicine, and pain medicine. Currently serving patients throughout the Cedar Knolls community at New Jersey Regenerative Institute in New Jersey, Dr. Malanga has been treating patients for more than 30 years.
After graduating from Villanova University with a bachelor of science in biology, Dr. Malanga enrolled in UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, graduating in 1987. He went on to complete a sports medicine fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and became a Senior Associate Consultant at Mayo Clinic from 1993-1996.
A founder and partner of New Jersey Regenerative Institute, Dr. Malanga is an expert in nonsurgical treatments for pain management of a variety of orthopedic disorders, including neck pain, back pain, shoulder pain, knee pain, and other sport medicine and musculoskeletal conditions. Some of his specialties include EMG testing, spinal and joint injections, musculoskeletal ultrasound, and platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatment for joint pain.
Dr. Malanga has the professional experience and education necessary to teach other physicians about the complexities of sports and pain medicine. He lectures throughout the United States and internationally on a variety of sports medicine, spine, orthopedic, and pain management topics and serves as a consultant to the Rutgers University Athletic Department. Dr. Malanga even co-authored The Atlas of Ultrasound-Guided Musculoskeletal Injections textbook to help teach other physicians about ultrasound guided injections of the musculoskeletal system. He is also one of the founders of DataBiologics, a company focused on collecting data on the use of regenerative medicine in treating orthopedic conditions.
As a renowned specialist in nonsurgical treatment of orthopedic injuries, Dr. Malanga has worked with athletes from high school and recreational levels to Olympic participants and professional athletes.
- Undergraduate: Villanova University, Villanova, PA
- Medical: UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Gerard Malanga, MD Speaks out on Questionable Studies and Journals
- Statement from IOF President on the New York Times Article “An Unproven Cure”
- Gerard Malanga, MD responds to LER article
- Safety and Efficacy of Percutaneous Injection of Lipogems Micro-Fractured Adipose Tissue for Osteoarthritic Knees
- AJSM Letter to the Editor
- Neck Braces and Cervical Collars Treat Common Neck Pain Causes
- Opioids for Chronic Neck Pain: Continue or Taper the Dose?
- Spine Doctor's Treatment for Moderate Low Back Pain
- Sitting Disease and Its Impact on Your Spine
- Role of Trigger Points (Myofascial Pain Syndrome) in Neck Pain